Friday, November 21, 2008

A Little Time On The Umcompaghre...

This morning finds me returned home from a quick blitz through Telluride and Crested Butte and some other great towns along the way. Part of the mission was to meet with Tim and Bill of Rig's Fly Shop in Ridgway, CO, a great Patagonia Fish Partner and a fantastic shop and guide service. After talking strategy for 2009 it dawned on me that I had a couple hours before heading into Telluride for a clinic. I had not brought my fishing gear for fear of getting distracted by all the quality water in the region but Tim convinced me that I really should hit the Umcompaghre River just outside of town. In a manner that reflects the great service at Rig's, he set me up with a 3-weight rod, a new 6x leader, some tippet, a pair of Patagonia Watermaster Light waders, some boots, a set of 'nippers and a couple of flies - about as minimal a set-up I have ever hit the water with. It was a wonderful reminder that when you stand in the water with no ability to match the hatch, or even worry about it, you focus on approach, presentation and a quality drift. Attention to those details brought about a dozen beautiful rainbows to hand and peace to mind in one of the most spectacular and quintessential western settings. Just one pictured at left. Thanks Tim - made my day...

No comments: